Fourth Preference Employment-based visa (EB-4)

EB-4 Visa: Opportunity for Employment Seekers in USA

ou may be eligible for employment-based permanent residency if you qualify for any one of the following “Special Immigrant” categories (EB-4):

Ministers of Religion and Other Religious Workers

This category applies to ministers of religion and certain other religious workers.   In order to qualify, you must have been a member of a bona fide non-profit religious organization in the U.S. and have been continuously carrying out the religious vocation or occupation that you intend to engage in the U.S. for at least two years. 

Special Immigrant Juveniles

If you are in the U.S. and need the protection of a juvenile court because you have been abused, abandoned, or neglected by a parent, you may be eligible under this category, provided that you satisfy all other statutory requirements.  In general, you must be unmarried and under 21, currently living in the U.S., and have a valid juvenile court order issued by a state court.  You might also need written consent from the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) or Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) to be sent to the court’s jurisdiction depending on your circumstances. 


If you work as a broadcaster for the International Broadcasting Bureau of the U.S. Broadcasting Board of Governors (BBG) or its grantees such as Radio Free Asia, Inc (RFA) or Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Inc. (RFE/RL), you may receive permanent residency for yourself and your spouse and children.  Broadcasters include reporters, writers, translators, editors, producers or announcers for news broadcasts; hosts for news broadcasts, news analysis, editorial, and other broadcast features; or a news analysis specialist. It does not include individuals performing purely technical or support services.

Long-term international organizations employees

Certain G-4 or NATO-6 Employees and their family members may benefit under this category if they meet the residency requirement.  The benefit could extend to retired G-4 officers, or the surviving spouse of a G-4 officer or employee under N status.

International Employees of the U.S. Government Abroad

Employees or honorably retired employees of the U.S. Government outside of the U.S. and their family members may be eligible for green card under this category.  Fifteen years of employment and a recommendation from the principal officer of a Foreign Service establishment are required.  The Secretary of State must ratify the recommendation and must also find it in the national interest to grant your permanent residency status. 

Armed Forces Members

Special immigrant status can be granted to a limited number of foreign nationals who have served honorably on active duty status in the Armed Forces of the U.S. after October 15, 1978 for an aggregate period of a minimum of 12 years.  If you are currently on active duty, you must have served a minimum of 6 years with proof of re-enlistment for a total service of 12 years.  Your original lawful enlistment must have been outside the U.S. and the appropriate military department must recommend the granting of your green card. 

Panama Canal Zone Employees

Certain former employees of the Panama Canal Zone and their dependents may receive special immigrant status, including those employed for at least one year by the Zone or Zone government and who were employees on the date the treaty transferring the Canal to Panama took effect, June 16, 1978.  Retired former employees who were employed for fifteen years are also eligible, or five years in the case of an employee whose personal safety is endangered because of such employment. 

Certain Physicians

If you graduated from a foreign medical school, entered the U.S. as an H or J non-immigrant and were licensed to practice medicine in the U.S. on or before January 9, 1978, and have been continuously present in the U.S. in the practice or study of medicine since that date, you may qualify as a special immigrant. 

Afghan and Iraqi Translators

You may be eligible as a special immigrant if you are a national of Iraq or Afghanistan and have worked directly with the U.S. Armed Forces or under COM authority as a translator or interpreter for at least one year.  In order to qualify, you must also obtain a favorable written recommendation from a General or Flag Officer in the chain of command of the U.S. Armed Forces unit that was supported by you or from the Chief of Mission from the embassy where you worked.

Afghan and Iraqi Nationals Who Have Provided Service in Support of U.S. Operations

This category is reserved for certain Afghan and Iraqi nationals who have provided faithful and valuable service to the U.S. Government while employed by or on behalf of the U.S. Government in Iraq for at least one year beginning on or after March 20, 2003, and who have experienced or are experiencing an ongoing serious threat as a consequence of that employment.

Scroll to Top