Family Immigration

There are three main ways to immigrate to the U.S. — through a business, through a humanitarian program, or through a family member. The U.S. immigration system currently is designed to favor keeping close family members together. Therefore, immigrating through a relative often is faster or more efficient than the humanitarian or business options. However, only certain types of close family members are able to actually petition for others, and wait times for many categories are extremely lengthy.

Related Articles

Fiancé(e) Overview

The K1 fiancé(e) visa is an option for someone who is engaged to a US citizen and would like to get married and live in the US. Click to learn more .

Adjustment of Status for Family Member

Adjustment of Status allows non-immigrants to apply for permanent residency while inside the U.S. by filing Form I-485. Unlike the Immigrant Visa process, Adjustment of Status does not require Consular Processing at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad and allow the applicants to move from non-immigrant status to permanent resident status without returning to their home countries. Click to learn more.

Immigrant Visa for Family Member

One of the privileges of citizenship is the ability to petition for immediate relatives, like your spouse, unmarried children under 21 years of age, and parents without immigration quota limits. Click to learn more.

How to File a Strong I-751 with Waiver?

If you’re a Conditional Permanent Resident in the United States and your green card is nearing its expiration date, it’s time to file Form I-751, Removal of Conditions on Permanent Residency. You probably know that the purpose of this application is to prove to the US government that you and your US citizen spouse still share a loving marriage — so what do you do if you have recently become separated or divorced? Click to learn more.

Scroll to Top