Fiancé(e) Visa Overview

K1 Fiancé(e) Visa: Pathway to US Marriage

The K1 fiancé(e) visa is an option for someone who is engaged to a US citizen and would like to get married and live in the US. The K1 visa is technically a nonimmigrant visa, but it is processed alongside immigrant (spousal) visas since the applicant ultimately intends to live permanently in the US with their future spouse.

Requirements for Filing Form I-129F: Meeting and Intent to Marry

To be eligible to file an I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), you and your fiancé(e) must have met in person within the past two years, and you must have evidence of your meeting. You must also be able to prove to the government that you have a genuine relationship and that you intend to marry within 90 days of arriving in the US.

K1 Visa Process and Adjustment to Permanent Residency

The K1 visa process is similar to the Immigrant Visa process in that it requires consular processing and an in-person interview at a US embassy or consulate abroad. However, it is handled more directly with the embassy or consulate rather than the National Visa Center (NVC). This means that the specific requirements and steps depend heavily on the country from which the beneficiary is applying. Once the foreign fiancé(e) is approved, enters the US, and gets married, they must then file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, in order to obtain permanent residency in the US.

Scroll to Top